Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Where two worlds collide.

I am loud.

My students are not.

I operate on a schedule.

My students do not.

I can be comfortable with a long sleeve shirt on.

My students cannot. They need it to be cold enough to wear sweatshirts.

I speak using my voice.

MY students do not. They speak with facial expressions. ( I have had to force myself to really look at their faces to know where the conversation is headed and not get frustrated that I am not getting a "response.")



There is rarely an hour that goes by where I don't say to myself, "Patience, just be patient. Don't raise your voice, don't give in, don't ask why ( not yet anyway)."


I haven't seen really anything that shows me who they are as kids. There just isn't this interaction that may happen in another school in the lower 48. My students hold back a lot emotionally and I don't hear that laughter, that smile that tells me, "Yeah, you catch my drift," or that shy glance that tells me who my sensitive ones are.

So different, and yet challenging enough to make me want to find a way to make connections b/c something's gotta give out here. One way or another I will find a way to get to know my students;)



1 comment:

  1. awww... miss phillips, you're a wonderful teacher who i have no doubt will connect w/EVERY single child by the end of the yr!

    ReplyDelete