Friday, August 26, 2011

Parent Conferences

This morning started off with some sad news. There was a death last night of a young adult. Found in a boat on the river. Tragic loss.
It's not common, but it does happen. There have been three losses recently due to health reasons, this mysterious one makes it the fourth.


I was forewarned first thing this morning that I may see a few absences. I normally see 4-5 students out on a daily basis with 2-3 students tardy anywhere from 1-3 hours.
This morning I had 4 out and 1 tardy by about 3 hours.

But on a lighter note, it's parent conference week and I was expecting maybe four or five parents in all. I have 18 students now and I had all but 4 of my students' parents.

Can we say, "Awesome!"

It was enlightening. I was able to ask some questions and hear from parents their thoughts on the school system out here. There were some some good points made, and then there were others that just made my heart break. Many changes here. Many.

Right now I am just counting down the final 30 minutes of parent conferences while our tech. guy Matthew tries to pull a transparency out of my copier. (I have my own copier by the way! It is my new best friend.) I was apparently not supposed to feed it anything but plain paper. My suggestion to Matthew was to use a sledgehammer and then duct tape it back together.

He looked at me like I was crazy- he's not use to my sense of humor just yet.

Week 35. Done.
Off to the post office. Then home. bon week-end

Quotes of the day:

"Oh my. You are a girl teacher. The way my son was talking about you, I thought you were a man."

"My son came home on Monday with a smile on his face. It was the first real smile that I have seen in a long time. He said you were strict and it made him happy." (Pray for this boy...He went hunting during the first week of school, has been in class all this week and he didn't want to get out of bed today and come to school. I don't know why the sudden change)

No comments:

Post a Comment