Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day of firsts.

I have finally found the trick to falling asleep at a good hour and that is to use both earplugs and a very comfortable sleeping mask.

This is a good thing simply b/c today was another day of firsts. It was the first day that I tried seal oil & I think whale blubber.




It was the first day the I saw the insides of a large salmon fish, and then ate some great tasting fish parts.




















































































































It was the first day that I learned a little bit about the Yupik culture.





It was the first day that I met Merrill, my principal, and realized that he most certainly is the most relaxed out of our crew that is heading to Nunapitchuk. He introduced himself to the four of us ( tomorrow I will have a picture of the newbies) and invited us to have lunch with him. All I have to say is that I walked away a little more confused but....have no fear...still excited. This school district has done an amazing job of preparing us. They have given us a great place to stay with free wifi, amazing meals, great materials, coaches for each village site to come visit & talk us down from the ledge so to speak, cultural insights, and then rides into town to get things set up ( bank, phone, dmv). I really feel like they have gone above and beyond to make this incredibly life changing decision a little bit easier.


It was the first day that I took an state driver's test with 30 other teachers in a cafeteria that begins with: "I know that ya'll are teachers, but after what happened in Atlanta, Georgia, well, you know...we gave you all different tests." Who knows if I passed. Apparently all the first year teachers last year bombed it. No problem, if not today, then tomorrow we take it again.

It was my last day in Bethel before taking off for Nunap:) Looking forward to the next post!


Quotes of the day:

From one principal to one of his teachers who will be living in the school, "Don't worry! You can visit us. We are only a mile up the hill." That really isn't a problem until you see this hill.....in winter-lol.

Talking about the teacher housing."My apartment is the size of my thumb. The toilet is in the kitchen."

Looking outside at the rainstorm while eating at 6:30. "I think this is that darkest it has been at this hour all week."

No comments:

Post a Comment