Sunday, August 14, 2011

First Community Event!

Last night as Amy & I were heading out to go home for the evening (after a long day in the classroom) we were approached by our custodian Wasilee and his wife Martha with an invite. Apparently there was a community feast in honor of a young boy that made his first bird kill. I was so excited to actually receive an invite, and even though I was dog- tired, I headed over with a couple of teachers to a home about a 1/2 down the boardwalk.

Now as we were walking, there were many people driving their four wheelers to this event. I thought to myself, "Wow! This is going to be good!" It was my hope to actually meet more of locals and just sit and observe. Once we arrived at the house of this young boy, we found the line that led us into the house where the family and food were. As we stood there, I was able to meet former Yupik teachers, peace officers, relatives of the children I will be teaching and many more. And as we were talking there was a person walking around handing out dried salmon as an appetizer until we were served our meal.

I was ALL about eating this, but didn't know what to do with the scales on the dried fish. Most people were just popping these dried fish bits into their mouth and swallowing, but I was struggling. I think it took me about six minutes of chewing to actually swallow it. Next time...I will be dispensing the scaled part of the fish- although I heard that it is good for the nails and hair?

Following that goodness, I went into one of the bedrooms and across the hall I could see many people sitting on the floor and chatting/ eating. It was so neat to see so many people on the floor, being served food, and just relaxing- no tables, no chairs. While I was in the bedroom with a group of teachers and some of the host family, I was given a gift...pretty earrings and wash clothes. I believe it is customary to receive a gift when attending one of these events- not bad, eh?

When it was time to eat I was handed a plate of food- turkey, potato salad, corn, dried salmon & punch. It wasn't what I was expecting- that came later...but it sure was delicious. When we finished, I was asked by another teacher if I wanted tea and dessert. I wanted to see what other types of dessert were offered besides Eskimo ice cream (Crisco & berries), and off we went to the kitchen area.

Now the thing about the dessert/coffee table is that I am to wait until there is an open seat. So- when someone leaves, I can go and have a seat- UNLESS there is an elder and then that seat, obviously, goes to the elder. Then I can have a seat if there are no more elders and I am next in line. BUT- how do I know who is an elder and who is just your everyday Joe? There was no way of figuring this out... so I stood there for 20 minutes as people just went and sat down whenever there was an available spot.

I gave up. I politely said thank you to the host and was about to go my way when I was offered a plate to go. I was all about this and happily said, "Yes please!" to what I thought was dessert. I was handed a cup o'salad, and not just any salad, but walrus or seal salad- no one knew what type of salad it was. I said my many thanks again, and as I headed out I spotted cupcakes and snagged one. It was the perfect end to my day...my cup of seal salad, cupcake, gift to go, and a nice walk home- in the freezing cold. Thankfully I was not alone on my walk home as I would have gotten lost. A gentlemen caught up with me as I was heading to what I thought was the school, and we chatted as he redirected me to the school. My favorite quote from our conversation:

"You know, I have a way of keeping myself warm in the winters."

Me:"Oh yeah? Please share!"

"I get up in the mornings, take off my socks, go out into the snow barefoot and put snow on my hands and stand there for as long as I can take it. My body will not get that cold for the rest of day when I cover up, so it works."


Me: "Uh, wow! That is impressive, glad you found something that works for ya!"

I may just be sticking with my hand and toe warmers:)


No comments:

Post a Comment