Sunday, October 23, 2011

Observing teachers in other schools...

is a great way to for one to improve and learn more about their own practice.

It is also another great way to get out and see if what I am currently experiencing in my own village is being experienced by others in their villages- if that makes any sense. And it's kinda like a get-out-of-jail free card for a couple of days- just kidding. Not really.

Anyways..Amy and I chose Kwethluk b/c we know three of the teachers there and I was curious to see what it was like to teach in their school.




So here we are. Flying out on the little red plane. Can I just tell you that it helps if the pilots know where they are taking their clients? There was a plane waiting as we got off on the boat at the airstrip and we knew that it wasn't for us simply b/c it was a different airline. There was some confusion since we were the only ones there and that pilot was convinced we were to be on his plane. We got on the plane, however and waited as it was too cold to wait outside. We did get him to understand that we were not his cargo, but we'd like to sit in the plane until ours arrived.

It did. 30 minutes later. We also picked up another passenger as she was in Nunap. for a funeral, but she works in Kwethluk, our final destination.

The flight was nice in that I was able to see the land change once again. The first freeze was making it's way across the tundra. We flew rather low the entire time, which was good and bad.

Good in that I was able to take some shots of the water in the ponds and rivers freezing over. Bad in that I was getting rather sick from the motion of the plane.


And then there was... a sight we do not see in Nunap.- trees.


I was in heaven. I turned to Amy at this time and said, "This is Alaska!"


Little Red Plane.

Arrival time : 6ish?



Happy Campers.



Shuttle service- the most gracious Heather Diamond.


Mountains!


Some sites of the village.


Kwethluk River


Our accomodations:



The school.



The Class I observed- 5th grade . I am hoping for a full set-up technology wise like these guys- ipads, ipods, SMARTboards, and Macs for every classroom. Impressive.

A few more replicas of what one might wear around town, moreso what is on the left, the right I was told is more of a formal outfit for the holidays now- not so much what one would wear in the wintertime.


Helping out while observing.


Gotta love the classroom rules.

And the assignments. You know you are working with middle schoolers when you see this for the journal prompt.

I really enjoyed getting to watch two teachers work their magic. I was able to pick up some good pointers and strategies for my class, too.




Off to enjoy our evening now that school is over.

Heading out to the store.




Preparing for a night of scary movies and uncontrollable laughter.

After a late night of movies, we slept in and it was the first time I woke up to the wonderful scent of....chocolate, not coffee, but chocolate brownies. It was the most amazing wake up call ever.
Well, that and pancakes.

I am now five pounds heavier and yet, five times happier.


Following that was a lazy morning of making more plane reservations & a craft...gotta have a craft, now.
It's just how some of us roll.

And time to head home.






This morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment