Friday, May 11, 2012

Getting near the end.

HOT DOG- only one more week of teaching!!!

I cannot wait to begin my summer travels as things are slowly starting to pick up around here. There has been a lot of testing, and end of the year assignments/ staff meetings like no other and strange behavior to top it off- that is for another time!

 Winter is still holding on as we had strong, cold winds last night and I am back to wearing my down coat.

But that doesn't stop the festivities. The community came to school today to celebrate  the graduation of three students. It was good to see  joy on the faces of family members of those that were able to put on the cap and gown. Graduation rates are so low out here and it is quite the accomplishment to complete all of the high school requirements.

During the ceremony Amy and I put up a "photo" board for prom, and whether or not it will be used...it was good fun to be creative with a bulletin board. There are so many times that I have wanted to put up creative, colorful boards up on the wall, but things are so easily ruined here and I just hate to see torn paper on the walls. It was quite the revelation to put up the Beverly Hills Hotel on the board ( Hollywood theme) and have parents ask me where that place is located. My face lit up and I wanted to share with them that it is a hotel located on Sunset Blvd- an amazing street with so many things to do and see....but I know that what is extremely exciting for me may not be for someone else, so I just said California.

After working on that board- Amy and I took off as we were ready to head home and rest.  Everyone is wrapping up the year including many of the students who do not find a reason to come to school at all now that testing is over.

BUT there was a heartwarming experience today when one of my students asked if I was to return next year. I replied, " Are you going to miss me?" Knowing this particular student, I was expecting a "Heck no!" But it floored me to hear him say, "Maybe. Are you going somewhere?" I stated that Toksook Bay is my next destination, and of course, my very intellectual yet strong headed student that gave me a run for my money this year yelled out that his aunt lives there and that he'd liked to go to school there.

Let's just say that one could here a pin drop it got so quiet. I looked at him and proceeded to shake my head repeatedly back and forth signaling NO. We left it there after  I saw a giant smile cross his face.

So that is where we are at: Slushy snow, one week to go of teaching, and hopefully a warmer weekend. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment