Monday, May 21, 2012

For better or worse...

til school comes to an end, I will rejoice in the moments that surprise me and move past the ones that frustrate me.

A few of the moments that surprised me:

Jarrett brought me a bird that he brought back from his hunting trip yesterday.

It was the perfect thing to receive today as it is Cultural Day today (put on by those that are not from around here- go figure) and I learned a lot from this gift- noted in the videos.

** Note to all that watch it..I am squirmish about such things, but happy about the opportunity to hear my kids talk about it.








And after this morning unexpected gift, Cultural Day was off to a great start in that my classroom was cleaned up by some of my 6th graders ( I had 10 show up today).









I really enjoyed hanging out with them and just creating as the day went on. Lots of time together provided some interesting topics of conversation, and it really made me thankful to be their teacher.

In the morning, my classroom was to be used to create Dream Catchers. As you can see from the picture, not many of them took their Dream Catchers home (there really isn't a strong sense of ownership) , but it was more about spending time w/ some of my students than anything else.
















I was still a little surprised to hear that the local community members that were asked to come and create drums/ fish nets either did not show up, or showed up way after we started, but I was amazed at how many teachers ( that did what they can to make this a relaxing day for the students ) just let it roll off like water off a duck's back. Flexibility is a definite must out here.

There was a lot going on when a lot of the students started to wrap up their beading, masks,bird houses, etc. and it got a little crazy there for a minute, but that is where America's Home Videos comes in to save the day. With the exception of two students throwing the gauntlet down, things were ok, and the kids enjoyed watching the show. And man alive! I am grateful for the early release- 3 pm.

Now onto finishing up the grades and packing a little more:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I hope it didn't really have bird lice! Whatever did you end up doing with it?

    ReplyDelete