Saturdays here are precious... I am not a fan of working on my Saturdays, but out here it is common to have make up days every so often. What makes it really difficult is that we are experiencing amazing weather and being inside when I can be outside soaking up some Vitamin D stinks. But it is what it is...
And after working from 8-1 this morning, Amy and I were planning on attending a funeral. I find it hard to participate in such a personal event that remembers the life of someone I never knew. But Amy wanted to support the mother and it's easier to do this with someone else, so I said I would join her.
Well, five minutes til to two I heard that the church was packed and that it would be standing room only.
This means that we would be in the back standing for a couple hours with the service being spoken in Yup'ik. I like to be supportive, but I also like to stay engaged, so we both thought we'd find another way to show support.
A fellow colleague mentioned that after she took people across the river, she would start putting food together for the feast. This was our opportunity to help, so we made Spanish rice w/ moose meat, and corn muffins bzef!
We brought it over while the service was still being held and met with some of the family for awhile, and then we were outside observing the huge crowd that waited outside until the body was ready to be viewed one more time. We were all invited to participate in this event, but I felt uneasy about this event as it is different from the sort of services I have attended in the past. Sometimes different ways of doing things are healthy, and sometimes I am ok with just saying no thank you.
Following that we walked over to the gravesite.
Dave, the school counselor, was with us and asked a gentleman that was getting ready for the body to be brought over for burial how the ground is prepared. As you probably already know, tundra ground is rock solid. The answer to his question is with lots of gasoline, a lighter, axes, and shovels. They draw out the proper size, pour gasoline on it, light it on fire, let it sit for awhile, and then with the axes they cut into the ground. It is HARD work.
This is the same time that our ride appeared and we were ready to head back home as I was ready for some rest. Riding back over in the sled reminded me of being on a water ride as a lot has melted over the last 48 hours.
It was quite the Saturday, but I am thankful for the opportunity to show support in one way this weekend, as it was new for me. And also get some time outside and enjoy a few more minutes of soaking up Vit. D.
No comments:
Post a Comment