Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lighter Later

6:30 pm and the Sun is just starting to go down. I see this as a good thing simply b/c I was actually struggling quite a bit just with how much energy I had in the evenings the last two months. When school got out and Amy and I were finally able to head home for the day, I felt like I was unable to get much done b/c my mind and body were both in sleepy mode  b/c it was so dark outside.

 The more kids I see outside jumping off the old building roofs and into piles of snow, the more energy I find I have to do the dishes, grade papers, etc. Can't wait to see what it feels like to have it be bright again at 10 pm in a short while- how much will I accomplish then?

So what's on my plate right now? Well, I noticed that more of my students are out b/c of a new strain that has entered our little community. Thankfully it is not strep, but just another kind of chest cold. I find it really hard to protect myself from getting sick here,  as I fell asleep at 7:45 last night and slept for ten hours. No matter what I use- white tea, anti-bac gel, liquids, liquids, liquids, fresh fruits & veggies, it doesn't help b/c I am a teacher and I have found that I cannot help but sit with a lot of different students for different reasons. I am constantly being coughed on and there is nothing that I can do about it for now. I find that my need to help outweighs my need for distance. But I know that I have a ton of great teas coming my way and that should help ease this chest cold:)

On a brighter note, I have only one more week until I wake up within a ten mile radius of a Starbucks-WAHOO!! and to tide me over, Rachel- our Spec-Ed teacher graciously brought me back from her training in Anchorage some tea from Starbucks! It was another great pick me up this morning. And as I sit here typing away on my computer, drinking this tea, I glance over my computer and see 15 of my students quietly take another math test, and it is quiet. I honestly feel like I can imagine myself sitting in a cafe far, far away drinking a cup of tea, looking out and watching people walk on by it is so quiet right now. And since I know that it will only last about 15 minutes ( students here have a short attention span)  I am soaking it up. I also am using the typing as a background noise to block out the noise of the other students in the other classrooms that are wreaking havoc b/c they don't want to be here.

This time is also being used to contemplate whether or not I want to go another round out here this upcoming school year. There are a lot of great perks to working for this School District, one being the pay and the insurance. I also have to respect the fact that this year has so far caused me to stretch in ways that I have never had to before. BUT- I really struggle with the fact that my students do their best work first thing in the morning, but that is only a good thing if my students show up. There is no consequence if they don't show up. There really is just no consequence for any wrong-doing out here.
I don't mind challenges, but I do mind no avenues of relief....and that is a serious issue out here. So- I am still on the fence as to what I should do-it's kind of like the picture above- I am still in the dark, but it seems to be lightening up a little  each day as we get closer to the month of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment