January and February both have been eye openers in that I have been able to keep my sanity amidst some rather "different" happenings. My students are keeping me on my toes in that they need watchful eyes every moment of the day. It's unfortunate, but chewing has made it's way back into the classroom and b/c they "respect" the fact that I don't want spitting on the floor, they have gone back to spitting in the trash cans. It's not pretty. Well, that's not pretty and neither is the fact that most are choosing to not accept responsibility or consequences for their actions, snide comments are constantly being made in their native tongue that keep interrupting the instructional parts of the day, and just the tweenage attitude in general...fun times, right?
Finding out what's behind some of their actions is a challenge. Sometimes I am able to get them to talk out what they are feeling, but most of the time it just results in either an absolute shut down or more anger.
Outside of the classroom, well, I see that the kids are out enjoying the warmer weather more and more. They are outside climbing and visiting other homes...all good things are they have been kept inside most of the winter.
SO- that being said- YES for March!!!! Rondy here we come! Juneau here I come and Bethel here we come. It's going to be a month of me and the State of Alaska. I am looking forward to hanging out with familiar faces outside of the village once again- w/ some amazing downtime.
Rondy is first on the list as Spring Break is fast approaching-and I can't wait to catch as much of it on film as I can. I am hoping to see the Outhouse Races, the Running of the Reindeer, and hopefully some fireworks!
After that is Juneau. A friend from another village is joining me on this quick for my birthday- so looking forward to seeing the Mendenhall Glacier.
Following that little trip, a few of the first year teachers will fly into Bethel for Cama'i. Cama'i is big. It's a three day native dance festival that is held in Bethel every year. I am looking forward to this as it will be a great way to experience the Yup'ik culture.
April- possibly another quick trip to Anchorage- gotta use those great deals that Alaska Air keeps sending us.
May- wrap up the school year and off to South Africa! This is going to be quite the experience as I am going to cover a little more of Africa and see friends that I haven't seen in four years. I am hopeful that with all of these trips in the mix, I can keep my eyes on the prize and still work hard to stay in the moment here in the village, as hard as it is sometimes. Who knows what next year will bring, right? So it is my hope that I use my time in the classroom to finish strong, and these upcoming trips to see more of what this state has to offer!
No comments:
Post a Comment