Saturday, November 12, 2011

NYO

What? Native Youth Olympics.
When? This weekend.
Where? Bethel.
How many? 4 out of the 12 villages competing- stupid stormy weather.
Why? Because I wanted to attend one of the most exciting, enriching Native events I will probably ever witness. What was I expecting to see and what I did see were two very different things. The events were nothing I would ever think to exist.

So, there was a need for a female chaperone since the team Nunap was sending out was made up of three girls and one male coach. Both Amy and myself were invited to tag along since there was the open chaperone spot and one addt'l seat open on the plane.

Let's just say getting on the plane was quite the thrill. We had to move fast as the weather was picking up. So when the airline called and said the plane was on its way, we had a few minutes to get our snow gear on and get to the strip. My favorite part of the entire trip was getting in a sled that was attached to the snowgo. I am all about speed, let's just leave it at that.




The team.




Plane Flight. Notice the storm rolling in.


















Bethel's Elementary school welcoming the NYO competitors.










And let the games begin.


Kneel Jump.















Toe Kick. I think. A student tries to land on a stick and (I think) kick it back.



High Kick(?).
























And some more painful events, ones that I am thankful our students did not have to participate in, that the NYO officials shared with the crowd.

Like wrapping a string around both noses of the contestants and pulling in the opposite direction until one gives in. Ouch!









And to pass the time, goofing around in the room.





AND SOME VIDEOS:
The first is of an official going over the rules for the wrist carry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RnRQlWLiHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnWV-5dHHzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLHaJf8Bmf8

And the seal hop:











And now we are patiently awaiting a break in the weather so that we can fly home, inshallah!






















My accomodations for another evening.

















Gonna look like this in about two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment