Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Classroom firsts for the first school day of 2012.

Some of these firsts are hard to write down and others are just what made my day go a little easier.

This was the first time, coming back to work after Winter Break, that I felt uncomfortable in my classroom. There were a lot of "what ifs" w/ a particular student that may it hard for me to get excited about being in the same room with him. However, I knew that if I just lifted my fear of the unknown up, it would be handled, and it was. Strangely enough;), there was no student, but a note instead from said student.

It was a good thing.

This was the first time that I took my kiddos out during the day for a walk down to the school dock w/ freezing temps (5 degrees), and I was left alone...

to enjoy watching them play tag, roll around in the snow, and talk to one another. I was neither hit with a snowball from behind, nor ignored when I called them in to line up.

It was a good thing.

This was the first time I assigned homework in about five months. Rarely is homework assigned out here b/c it doesn't come back, ever. But I assigned it anyways, and once again, I was surprised to see most of my students stay after school to complete it. This is probably going to be a rare thing to witness, BUT it was nice for my first day back.

It was a good thing.

This is the first time I was asked about next year by another colleague. I still have some serious thinking to do about this, so I just shrugged my shoulders.

And it was the first time I released myself from all of the pressure & knowledge that I have come into contact within the last 72 hours. There is a lot that has come down through the pipes, so to speak, that makes me question whether or not I can function as a teacher in this setting w/out freaking out if I pay too much attention to it all. So I won't- simple as that.

So that is my Tuesday! Perhaps I will take you along on my walk tomorrow, and hope to heaven that my camera is not hit with a snowball:)

No comments:

Post a Comment