Standing on the frozen river, you might see smoke rising in the distance. A Yup'ik Eskimo would know it was open water, steaming where it hit the frigid air, but a trick of the light could make you believe otherwise. You might think you see the breath of the devil.
Now, we had a good laugh over this, but we know that there are many others that may not.
I find that the biggest thing I have to worry about right now is eating and drinking well enough to keep my body hydrated. The winds are a little more constant at this rate and it makes dressing for a walk to the school that much more fun:)
This morning I struggled with walking over to my classroom. I know that I can turn the heat on once I get inside, but man alive... -13 outside is quite cold.
( The numbers are reversed. )
And I noticed that my body needs a little more attention now as I find that the cold weather seems to really dry my skin out!
I have now put a lot of effort into using home remedies in hopes that they will protect my skin, but if you have any more ideas out there besides cuticle oils for my fingers, honey on the lips b/c they are cracking, and castor oil on my face, let me know- I'd greatly appreciate it!
Now something that I hope the "breath of the Devil" will not make more challenging:
March: Anchorage/ Running of the Reindeer
Juneau for my birthday!
Always good to have trips to look forward to!

No comments:
Post a Comment