It's common around here to see kids react rashly to constructive criticism.
"May I suggest that you take a little more time & slow down on that assignment. It helps me when I try to correct it."
"I noticed you started the first sentence of your first paragraph! Keep it up, only a few more to go!"
More often than not I see students put their head down and they are done.
The hard thing is to not take it too seriously. I tend to take everything personally, but I am sloooowwwlllyyyy learning not to.
That being said, I use and therefore suggested to Amy one of Love & Logic's tips of saying "Bummer" with empathy, not sarcasm when a student chooses to act out & delivering an appropriate consequence.
The result? Amy's first grader responds with stuffing a paper into his mouth and eating it.
I know. I know. You are asking yourself, "What happened?"
Well, she walked around collecting papers and noted that a particular student did not do the work. She (with empathy) shares with the student that she needs to share the assignment with his mom (in hopes that he will want to make mom happy instead of sad).
Ummm...his apparent response was to hide the evidence. Altogether. And shove it into his mouth. Gotta love the quick thinking of a first grader.
No comments:
Post a Comment