Serene. Sunny. Salty. Seward, Alaska.
Sarah drove us out 2 hours through some amazing scenery in order that I may see my first glacier & possible a bear. Well, all I can say is that this girl delivered.
We started out at 10 a.m. with a full tank of gas, coffee, and last night's leftovers cause it's a drive.
The first thing that she shared with me is the fact that I need to be prepared for a slamming of the brakes. There is so much wildlife around and when spotted, people slam on their brakes and pull over. The problem? There really isn't space and therefore it makes it the most dangerous road that is well-traveled coming out of Anchorage.
She then shared with me that the body of water to our right is very rarely seen with boats just b/c of its' dangerous tides and very sticky mud ( people have lost limbs being pulled out by rescuers:( )
Ok then. Good to know. After that I kept my eyes off the road and on the scenery.
First stop: Exit Glacier. What was neat about this particular spot was the fact that there were signs posted on the side as we drove up to the glacier showing dates carved into them. These represent the edge of the glacier at that time.
Oh, and b/c Sarah was raised here, she knows just about everyone. Yesterday we ran into a couple that she knew on the hike. We also made a connection b/t my Aunt Diane's sister Irene and Sarah's family. Today we ran into one of her colleagues on the glacier trail- go figure:)
Coming down on a different trail we saw a crowd of people pointing up at the side of another mountain. Can you see what it is?
A mother black bear w/ 3 cubs.
And after getting in the car and heading out to Seward we spotted two bald eagles.
A very relaxed sea otter.
And since I am an Alaska Certified Teacher, I am able to get into certain places of interest for free. Today...the Seward Sea Life Center.
alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5635042827762127250" />
No comments:
Post a Comment